During your braces treatment, you may experience soreness and difficulty chewing. It is also necessary to avoid foods that will be harmful to your teeth and your braces. At the Doral & Miami Centers for Orthodontics, we are happy to provide food recommendations to our patients in Hialeah, Miami Springs, Kendall, and nearby areas of Florida.
What Foods Should I Avoid?
During your braces treatment, there are a number of foods that should be avoided in able to prevent damaging your orthodontic appliances. Certain foods can damage the braces, bending wires and interfering with the efficacy of treatment. As a result, you will have to make an extra visit to the orthodontist to fix the damage. This can also extend the length of your treatment in some cases. We recommend that patients avoid the following foods during their braces treatment:
- Chewy foods such as candy, gummies, and licorice
- Sticky foods such as gum and caramel
- Crunchy foods such as ice, chips, and popcorn
- Hard foods such as nuts and bread crust
- Foods that you bite into such as apples and corn on the cob
What Foods Can I Eat With Braces?
We recommend that patients avoid the hard, chewy foods above to prevent damage to their braces. However, patients often experience soreness in the teeth immediately after they get their braces tightened, and have trouble eating those foods anyway. Whether your teeth are sensitive after a recent appointment or you are looking for something safe to eat, the following food items are great choices:
- Grains including pasta, pancakes, rice, and soft breads
- Soft fruits and vegetables like applesauce, bananas, and mashed potatoes
- Dairy and soft treats like cheese, pudding, and ice cream
- Soft proteins like chicken, fish, and lunch meats
If you have braces and would like to learn more about foods to eat and foods to avoid, contact us today. The Doral & Miami Centers for Orthodontics offers braces and other orthodontic services to men and women living in Miami Springs, Kendall, Hialeah, and the surrounding communities of Florida.